May 7, 2012

Super Moon Night!

Saturday evening was the Super Moon for 2012.  In case you don't know what that means: its a full moon during the calendar year of 2012 that is closest to Earth (when compared to the other full moons of 2012).  The full moon this year was 15,400 miles closer than its typical average.  So the moon appeared brighter and 14% larger.  The moon pictures are after the following set (while waiting for the sun to set I was just playing at the beach).

Smess this pictures is just for you since you like pictures "with multiple depths."  
I took about 30 pictures to get this one shot just for you.
T3i: SS 1/500, f 4.5, ISO 100, FL 18.0
T3i: SS 1/320, f 5.0, ISO 100, FL 18.0
T3i: SS 1/320, f 5.6, ISO 100, FL 50.0
Thanks to Sends and his constructive criticism, my new and improved camera settings allowed me to get the next shot!  The sun was actually already fully set when I snapped this picture.  Crazy right?  Not really sure how I managed it.  This shows the Waikiki Beach Hotel Strip.
T3i: SS 1/20, f 4.0, ISO 200, FL 20.0
T3i: SS 1/50, f 4.0, ISO 200, FL 24.0
T3i: SS 1/50, f 4.0, ISO 400, FL 18.0
T3i: SS 0.60, f 4.0, ISO 1600, FL 18.0 
T3i: SS 0.8, f 4.0, ISO 1600, FL 22.0
T3i: SS 1.3, f 5.6, ISO 800, FL 55.0
The Super Moon looks like its rising right out of Diamond Head Crater.

T3i: SS 0.6, f 5.6 ISO 3200, FL 18.0
Shortly after the moon started to rise over Diamond Head, I realized there was too much light around Kapiolani Park, so I headed to a lookout at Diamond Head, which turned out to be ideal.  I was able to get away from the other lights, and it also afforded a view of the moon reflecting off the ocean by the seaside neighborhood of Kahala.  (tip: click on the pictures below so it magnifies them otherwise they are hard to see since the frame is dark compared to the blog's bright background)

T3i: SS 1/6, f 3.5, ISO 3200, FL 18.0
T3i: SS 0.5, f 5.6, ISO 800, FL 55.0
T3i: SS 0.6, f 4.0, ISO 800, FL 27.0
T3i: SS 0.8, f 4.5, ISO 800, FL 34.0
T3i: SS 1.3, f 4.5, ISO 400, FL 26.0
T3i: SS 0.8, f 4.0, ISO 400, FL 28.0
Thanks for visiting.  If you are reading this last little part then you should leave me a comment below.  I know plenty of people are reading but its great to hear from you.  (and if you have a nickname that you go by AND that I know then leave it written too....my niece likes to try and guess who it is that is leaving the post despite not knowing nicknames.  Moose: you are the only one she didn't get so far.)

14 comments:

  1. these are awesome pictures kris!!!!! very cool! hope your doing well!!!

    -lizards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. Yes, doing great here! I hope NKY is treating you well.

      Delete
  2. Awesome pics buddy! It's good to know that my secret identity is still secret!

    - Moose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Moose. The gig is up. I told my niece it was you.

      Delete
  3. The super moon caught me by surprise Saturday. Glad you were prepared! The photos were awesome. Hope all is well. Say Hi to the Dave.

    - ToddBob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ToddBob! Dave says hi back! I only heard about the Super Moon on Friday, so I just barely knew to look for it, but it was neat!

      Delete
  4. One of those pics i would like to print and hang up at the house. Hope all is well. Kids are getting big. I miss my kayak and margarita drinkin buddy!

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss margaritas too. And Hawaii is not a big place to have Margaritas. They are all about Mai Tais here (which are pretty fantastic!)

      Delete
  5. Photos are wonderful Kris. You are becoming quite a photographer.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toph-Toph!!
    I knew I sucked at leaving comments, but apparently I suck at reading your comments as well! I was showing your blog off at work today and I saw the 1st picture on here, and I said to my co-workers that it was my favorite picture b/c of all the depth it shows and I commented that I should save it on my desk top or maybe print it out. I got back on here tonight to show my sister the same picture, and I just noticed the comment that went with it!! So thanks so much for thinking of me when you took my favorite shot!! It makes it even more special to me!! You rock!!
    ~Smess-a-licious :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smess-a-licious, you crack me up. Well, I'm glad I got the picture for you and that you thought it was awesome even before I gave you a shout out! Haha.

      Delete
  7. Kris,

    I'm really just commenting so that your niece can try to guess who I am... Here's a hint: I just saw you on Monday with your mom's meeting after school.

    Hope you're not doing anything too dangerous, Kris. Remember your dad will worry about you!

    Later, SageFan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way I know that comment was poorly worded...

      "with your mom, at her meeting..." would make more sense...

      SageFan

      Delete