May 14, 2012

Ka'au Crater

Sunday, I returned to finish a trail I did a month ago.  Unfortunately, I still didn't finish it.  I got to the point I intended to, but didn't realize the trail went even further, so the rest of it awaits another day.  I started in Palolo Vally (number 2 on the map) and hiked to Ka'au Crater (which the arrow is pointing to the big green crater).  I live at number 1.
(courtesy of Google Maps...shhhh; don't tell them)
As you can tell from Google maps the Crater is huge (it's the round circle the arrow is pointing to).  There are three large waterfalls along the way.  The water for the waterfalls is actually gathered by the massive crater's basin, and I essentially hiked along this stream the whole way up the mountain.
Waterfall number 1 from the top:
T3i: SS 1/8, f 5.6, ISO 200, FL 18
Waterfall number 2 from below (Dave is standing on top):
T3i: SS 1/400, f 3.5, ISO 200, FL 18
Waterfall number 3 actually was a series of about 20 waterfalls, each ranging from a couple feet to 40 feet in height.  In this picture you can even see the next one behind it.  To get to the top you had to climb up the side of each waterfall.

A section of waterfall number 3:
T3i: SS 1/30, f 4.0, ISO 200, FL 20
Along the way, previous hikers had balanced rocks in the stream, so those are always
entertaining to look at (and time to practice some different types of shot!).


Left Photo*: SS 1/30, f 5.6, ISO 200, FL 50           ///          Right Photo: SS 1/20, f 6.0, ISO 100, FL 55

Finally reached Ka'au Crater.  The crater basin is massive and flat.  So big that I couldn't even fit each side into the frame of my picture, so just imagine that the crater walls you see in the picture below are extending all the way around in a circle (I'm standing on top of the the crater's edge opposite those seen in the picture).

T3i: SS 1/50, f 8, ISO 100, FL 18
T3i: SS 1/125, f 8, ISO 100, FL 18
From the southern edge of the crater you can look back onto Waikiki and Diamondhead Crater (Diamondhead Crater is on the left of the picture).  My apartment would be in the frame if it wasn't for the darker hill on the right side of the picture.

T3i: SS 1/100, f 9, ISO 100, FL 55
 Mahalo for visiting!  Let me know you were here,
 and what you think in the comments below.

*Photo Editing Effects for this photo: Increase in contrast (+10), hue (+20) and sharpness (+55).  Decrease in saturation (-33)

5 comments:

  1. That hike looked like a lot of fun. Where were all the hot girls bathing under the waterfalls??? I kept zooming in on each shot and couldn't find them. They must be hiding. Did you or Dave get in the water, or was the bottom of each pretty deep? How warm was the water?

    Aloha `oe kaiko'eke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Well, technically the hike is a "closed trail" since several parts on on private property, so we didn't see very many people at all. So no hot girls bathing in the waterfall. The bottom of each was not very deep; the water was just slightly chilly but we did not venture in. ....and aloha to you too brother in law (kaiko'eke)

      Delete
  2. Ha. Well, technically the hike is a "closed trail" since several parts on on private property, so we didn't see very many people at all. So no hot girls bathing in the waterfall. The bottom of each was not very deep; the water was just slightly chilly but we did not venture in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics. Very jealous! I have a lovely picture of scenic Villa Hills I could share but dont want to make you jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Toph-Toph!! Look at me, commenting again!! I just wanted to let you know that my niece and I stole...err...borrowed, I mean...some of your pictures. Her class is doing projects on the 50 states and she chose HI...probably b/c it's been mostly what I've talked about the last couple of months :o) SHe has to pick 3 spots to put in her report and after skimming your blog, she has chosen Waikiki Beach and Turtle Beach as 2 of her 3!! (I pushed for Pearl Harbor for the 3rd...it is a school project, after all :o) So thanks for all you're help and I'll send you pictures of her final project...she's totally rocking this out!!
    ~Smess (and niece, Rachel!!)

    ReplyDelete