May 6, 2012

Run for a View - Race Report

I signed up for my first race here in Hawaii.  It was the Run for a View, and it happened Saturday morning.  While everyone back home was getting ready for the Flying Pig Marathon I was starting my 8+ mile trail race.  The race started with a 2.5 mi. trek up slippery slopes which was hampered by intermittent rain, but that just made it all the more fun.  All the runners were in good spirits, and were frequently laughing with each other the slippery conditions up and down hills as well as across streams.  At one point I saw 5 people piled on top of each other after a "bowling-ball-like" incident where one person wiped out 4 others while traversing a steep section...the amount of their laughing was making it hard for them to get off of each other (it was one big glob of floundering extremities).  Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture because I was sliding right by, and was trying not to be the sixth person on top of the pile.  Enjoy the pictures:


The picture on the left is going down "Dinosaur Spine"




 The random/intermittent rain made for rainbows all along the course.


View of Pearl Harbor




More pictures of the trail, which was muddy and slippery.  


 Pearl Harbor again.


Mud on my face (and everywhere else), but I finished injury free so I was happy.


My shoes used to be white, gray and blue...now they are just brown.


I was excited to see that apparently I had parked my car at the end of the rainbow, 
but disappointed when I got to my car down the street that there was no pot of gold!


Every race should end with a Cinco de Mayo celebration: Mexican beer, tequila and mimosa!  
More people would run races if this was at every finish line for the runners!


2 comments:

  1. One state closer to your goal... :) I wish I had been there! Miss you!

    Love,
    Your favorite niece ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I can't cross it off. Its not marathon distance or bigger...so more races to come!

      Delete