January 29, 2013

Horseback in Ka'a'awa Valley...

First: great win by my Wildcats Tuesday night.  Go Cats!  I've been anxiously watching each game all year to see when they'd play a hard and physical game.  Hopefully there will be more to come!  ...I'd like to stay off the bubble.

Secondly, I'm posting about horseback riding.  Made me think of Kentucky bluegrass and all the horses back in my home state.  In this post I'm at Kualoa Ranch.  Kualoa Ranch is mostly a tourist attraction, however, many locals visit it too.  It was an overcast, winter day here, but the views were still great.

The tour guide asked all the male guests if any of us had been horseback riding before?  I raised my hand, and was then promptly placed on the "spunky horse," named Kekipi.  Kekipi means rebel, so I guess it was fitting.

Apparently my horse was sexist.  Not only that, but he didn't like Asian people either.  It took a number of questionable incidents involving female Japanese tourists before they figured out his 'problem.'  Unfortunately, I couldn't get the tour guide to expand on any of the stories.  Kekipi was a spunky horse, but luckily, he mostly behaved this day.  I didn't mind too much: this allowed us to march to the beat of our own drum (or rather: his drum) and we took intermittent excursions to other parts of the trail until the guide would notice.  Then I'd have to rein him in to join back up with everyone else.
Kekipi



Topher on Kakipi.  To bad Kakipi would look up for a second. 



What a great looking tree
Chinaman's Hat Island.
As usual: we are not with the rest of the group.
Getting dark...time to head back.

No comments:

Post a Comment