December 19, 2012

Kaua'i Part 2: Backpacking Na Pali Coast...

The Na Pali Coast is a 15 mile stretch of the northern coast of Kaua'i which is completely inaccessible except for one way...on foot via the Kalalau trail.  Na Pali is translated from Hawaiian means the cliffs.  Much of the Kalalau trail along the way is cut into steeply angled cliffs.  It has stunning views, but unfortunately the two days I was on the trail the visibility in Kaua'i was poor.  It made picking out photos to share easy, since I permanently deleted 80% of the photos I snapped since the vog (ie. volcanic-fog) was really high.  Luckily, with the naked eye, the views were much better in person; they just don't translate onto digital film well.  Not to worry though: I wouldn't tease you with stories of stunning views without providing you with a visual.  You'll just have to wait a couple more days until I post my helicopter trip photos (foreshadowing!).

The first mile = straight uphill   ...not so great with a 35 lb backpack 
Great view at the top of the hill, except I'm still not at the top.
Don't fall off the edge.  It's a long way down.


Hummm...that's a lot of dead hikers. Guess I should stay out of the water. 
On the Hanakapai Beach there are tons of balanced rocks from many hikers before me.
The beach was beautiful and extremely remote.
This is where a stream flows into the ocean.
Waterfall a couple miles inland from the beach.


Here's the same beach the next day on the way back along the trail. 
Hazy, but you can get an idea of the beautiful coastline and high rising coast.

Almost back to the trailhead.
Mahalo for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment