December 22, 2012

Honolulu Marathon...

I ran the Honolulu Marathon 2 weeks ago.  Not my favorite race ever, but I guess one does it more for the sights along the way.  I ran it with 25,000 other people, and let me tell you: Hawai'i's streets are not capable of supporting this many runners at one time.  The course bottlenecked constantly, and I was either in someone's heels or someone else was in mine.  It's a popular race for people visiting from Asia (especially Japanese folks).  In fact, it was so heavily populated with runners from Japan that the only language I heard was Japanese, including Japan's national anthem at the beginning.  I kept hearing people shout a phrase at me that sounded like, Heeeeey, nu-body.  I have no idea what that means, but I decided to assume it meant "you look awesome, keep running."  Ha.  It was a breath of fresh air when (at mile 13) I finally found myself running next to an American/US Marine.  We were happy to talk to each other for a mile or so.  All the negative aspects were made up by the awesome sights along the way since it ran through downtown, Waikiki, along the beach for a while, around Diamonhead and out to Hawaii Kai's Bay with views of Koko Crater.

It was't my fastest run, but I ran a smart race.  So I'll call it a success.  I've now crossed the state of Hawai'i of my lifetime list of marathons/Ironmans.  States crossed off so far: Florida (4 times), Ohio (3 or 4 times?), Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia, Tennessee.  Hum...I've still got a long way to go, but a lifetime to do it!  

Oh, if you were wondering: Horseback riding a few hours after running a marathon is a terrible idea.  Turns out, chaffed areas match up precisely with saddle areas.  Yikes!

Here are some pictures of the marathon.  Mahalo for visiting!

Expo time the night before.

Mile 17 and looking strong! (left)   //   Mile 20: caught me cleaning off some snot (trust me: this is not unpleasant compared to some of the things you see on a long course...endurance athletes have no shame or rules for decency)

Finishline!  I'm on the far right of the photo.
Happy to be finished!
Best Christmas tree ornament ever!

2 comments:

  1. Did you have to wipe snot off your nose... or show off your abs to the camera??? I believe the latter is more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fay, don't discourage him...that's why we call him Washboard :o)
    ~Smess
    PS: Toph-Toph, I'm playing catch up at work, sorry for the lack of comments...I wanna try to catch up on yours and Dave's by the time I get off at 11...and I'm VERY behind on both :o)

    Keep up the great job and I'll see you in a month-ish!!

    ReplyDelete