December 9, 2012

Kaua'i Part 1: Caves and Canyons

Well, you recently read about the Tsunami warning on a previous blog post.  I mentioned then, that I had a bunch of pictures from my trip, so this is the lead Kaua'i posting: Canyons and caves!

First is canyons: I arrived on the island early in the morning, and for the first couple of hours I went to visit Waimea Canyon before hitting the trail to go backpacking.  People say the canyons on Kaua'i are like a smaller Grand Canyon, but very lush with more "greenery."  Unfortunately, the vog (volcanic fog) was being really annoying so the pictures are not the clearest.





The vog was really bad at this lookout point.

Kalalau Lookout

mmm...found some fresh coconut at one of the lookout spots.
After the canyons, I drove down and around the island to get to the northern coast to start my backpacking wilderness adventure, but on the way were several caves.  One was dry while two had water in them.  I didn't let the water, nor the flesh eating bacteria warning signs, keep me out.  Whew, the water was cold!  I climbed down into a hole/cave in hopes to see the blue room.  It's supposed to be room within the cave where the water is an irridescent blue with the light filtering in.  It was creepy swimming into a dark cave with barely enough room for your head.  Unfortunately, it was bust.  I don't think there was enough light coming in, but the water was still a neat blue color.

Cave 1 (wet cave) 
Cave 2 (dry cave)
On the edge of the dry cave looking in.
In the dry cave.
Looking back out of the cave.
Hummm....gald I didn't get a case of the Lepto.
Found the hidden 3rd cave back in the woods where the blue room is. 
Time to climb in and swim to the blue room.
Mahalo for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you did not get a case of the lepto also. You have to be healthy to show us around. Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete