March 31, 2013

Lahaina Sunset...

I always love a good sunset, and I'm afforded with many living in Hawai'i.  In this blog I'm standing on Launiupoko Beach, which is close to Lahaina on Maui's western shore.  If you've been to Maui, then you are probably familiar with Lahaina since it is Maui's most touristy town.  The island in the background is the Lana'i.  I have not yet been to Lana'i, but I'll make it there eventually.

Quick facts about Lana'i:
-6th largest Hawaiian island with a total of 140 square miles.
-Smallest Hawaiian island that is publicly accessible (plane flight or ferry from Maui)
-Has only one school (K-12)
-No stop lights exist on the island
-Population of approximately 3,000 people
-It's known as the Pineapple Island, because James Dole (of the Dole Food Company) bought the island in 1922, and made most of the island into a Pineapple plantation.

Still a little bit before sunset

Below are two similar pictures taken a few minutes apart, so I made one into a black and white.



Lots of great golds and blues as the sun descends towards Lana'i.

Just a spec of sun left.

Well, the history with the ocean and my slippers continues.  While I was taking the pictures above I left my slippers behind on the beach.  It was windy and when I came back both of my slippers were gone.  I caught one 40 meters away, just before it went into the ocean.  I'm assuming the ocean swallowed the right one.  So it was off to the drug store to buy another pair.  I guess it's good they cost less than 5 dollars.  So I walked into the drug store slipperless, cut the tags off at the register, paid and then chucked the leftover slipper in the cashier's rubbish can...the cashier laughed at me when I explained that this was not the first time I've had to do this.  For the record it's Pacific Ocean: 2,  Hawai'i Topher: 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment