September 29, 2012

Utah...

Hawai'i Topher's not on the islands anymore. I was at corporate for a day of meetings in Salt Lake City, and then Park City, Utah for a corporate retreat. It was nice to meet another 100 manager colleagues. Hawai'i tends to be isolated professionally. Work has kept me so incredibly busy between meetings, conference items and just plain old fun.

What I didn't realize was how beautiful Utah is. Wow. It is stunning here in Park City. I've got to get back here to snowboard in the future too. I even saw the Olympic ski jump area.

On Friday afternoon we had 'activity time." I picked mountain biking but didn't realize I'd be going with 4 expert mountain bikers within the company. They based their trail decision on the fact that I told them I do triathlons and marathons, but I was not prepared for the 6.8 mile climb up the mountain to start the journey. I had to stop a few times on the way up. I made the excuse that I wanted pictures, but really I was just dying. The three guys in their 40's/50's and the one woman in her 40's were kicking my butt. It was a very humbling experience, and they kept saying I was doing great considering the altitude (but I beg to differ...i was just putting on a brave face). They only took one rest break on the way up, and I think it was just to let me catch up. Haha. Once at the top the views were amazing. We rode along the tips of the mountains for a bit and then it was time to head downhill.

The downhill....where I almost died...twice! The terrain was crazy. There were drops of a few feet that you had to go fast into. Adrenaline was pumping the whole way. The switchbacks...oh the switchbacks. This is where I was almost injured seriously twice. I almost went over two embankments; apparently I didn't bank hard enough. Needless to say I didn't get any pictures on the way down since I was just trying to survive. At points I was seriously considering if there was some reason the company was trying to do away with me as an employee???

Fact: very little road biking expertise translates over to mountain biking!

But overall it was awesome and I lived to tell the tale. I completely underestimated what true mountain biking is now. Wow. Hopefully you can see some of the pictures below.

I'm at the Salt Lake City airport now. Next stop: NKY!

Mahalo for visiting. See the pictures below (in no particular order).

2 comments:

  1. Very cool, Toph-Toph!! So are you going to take up mountain biking as your next thing to conquer? :o) PS...It was great seeing youwhile you were home and I can't wait to see you next time...b/c I'll be there...only...(I'm thinking and need to use my fingers to count :o)...16 1/2 weeks (I was going to put 4 months, but then I thought it took me too long to count 4, so I decided to do weeks instead :o) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to see SLC and Park City this summer and LOVED it! Of course it was beautiful weather all week while I was working, and as soon as I got to the top of the mountains on the weekend, it started to rain (I should have gotten a medal for ending their drought!) I would definitely go back. Sorry I was traveling again when you were in town. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

    TBOB

    ReplyDelete