June 16, 2012

Valley of the Temples

Couple shout-outs before I get to my blog:

First:  Happy Father's Day to my Father.  Best Daddio ever!  Wishing all the Dads out there a Happy Father's Day.

Second:  Congrats to my sister and brother-in-law.  My new little nephew Max has entered the world and he is adorable!  I was sad.  It's the first big milestone that I've missed, but I look forward to meeting him soon.  Luckily, technology in this instance is great since I've already FaceTime'ed a couple of times with the little guy.

Third:  Check out Dave's Blog.  He's a few weeks behind, but he recently put up his Portlock Cave post and I'm in it (loosing my slippers).  The past couple weeks I've mostly SUP'ed (stand-up paddleboard) and played beach volleyball.  I haven't taken my camera along (it would get wet paddleboarding and likely stolen during volleyball).  During the week I have been working like crazy, so nothing exciting happens then.  I work hard to play hard I guess.

Today I went to the Valley of the Temples and I'm excited to have something to tell you all about.  The Valley of the Temples is located between the coast on the Windward side (eastern shore) and the Ko'olau Mountain range, just outside of Kane'ohe.  Simply, this site is a cemetery and memorial park.  It gets is name due to several temples, worship spaces and memorial areas that are located in this valley.  Today it was really busy (maybe due to Father's Day weekend?) so I tried to be respectful and didn't take pictures of all the temple areas since there were many families having small memorials.  

The memorial park has temples and worship spaces for all of the common religions.  The highlight, however, is Buddhist Byodo-In Temple (described later).  It was a rainy and cloudy on the windward side which made for some neat pictures since the thick clouds obscured the mountain tops.  

The sign and administrate offices for the Temple
T3i: SS 1/100, f/9.0, ISO: 200, FL: 18mm, CP lens
The Catholic "Temple"
T3i: SS 1/60, f/18, ISO: 200, FL: 29mm, CP lens
Dillingham (military) Reflection space
T3i: SS 1/35, f/8.0, ISO: 200, FL: 18mm, CP lens
T3i: SS 1/50, f/9.0, ISO: 200, FL: 18mm, CP lens
Some mortuary for a Japanese person I don't know anything about.
T3i: SS 1/30, f/8.0, ISO: 200, FL: 18mm, CP lens
Next are pictures of the Byodo-in Temple, which was built in the 1960's to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the first Japanese immigrants to Hawai'i.  It is s smaller scale replica of the Byodo-In Temple in Uji, Japan.  The O'ahu Byodo-In Temple is a non-practicing Buddhist temple that welcomes people of all faiths worship independently.  The temple is often used for weddings If you are a fellow Lost-freak, like myself, then you'd recognize it at the site of Jin and Sun's marriage on the show, as well as the place where Sun's father lived!

The Bon-Sho (sacred bell) Gong.
T3i: SS 1/30, f/3.5, ISO: 800, FL: 18mm, CP lens

Small waterfall and Koi
T3i: SS 0.3, f/16.0, ISO: 800, FL: 20mm, CP lens
Amida Buddah: the largest Buddah ever carved outside of Japan.  
Made of wood and covered in gold lacquered cloth.
T3i: SS 1/20, f/4.5, ISO: 1600, FL: 18mm, CP lens
The Byodo-In Temple
T3i: SS 1/120, f/3.5, ISO: 400, FL: 18mm, CP lens
Couldn't resist some aperture and DOF settings.
The reflection is great in this picture.
T3i: SS 1/30, f/3.6, ISO: 400, FL: 18mm, CP lens
Hello Black Swan  (this picture didn't end well...apparently he does not like getting 
his picture taken, and he is MUCH bigger than he looks in this picture)
T3i: SS 1/80, f/4.6, ISO: 400, FL: 51mm, CP lens

T3i: SS 1/60, f/5.6, ISO: 400, FL: 18mm, CP lens
T3i: SS 0.6, f/22, ISO: 100, FL: 18mm, CP lens
T3i: SS 0.8, f/22, ISO: 100, FL: 24mm, CP lens

T3i: SS 1.3, f/22, ISO: 100, FL: 24mm, CP lens
For some reason I love taking pictures of bamboo.  Not sure why, 
but I'm fascinated with it, so here is one of the picture I took.
T3i: SS 1/10, f/4.6, ISO: 400, FL: 22mm, CP lens

1 comment:

  1. Very cool pictures! You're getting quite handy with your new camera. I'm glad you're having some great adventures!

    -Max's Mom :)

    ReplyDelete