June 23, 2012

Olomana Hike

Crazy hike...potentially hazardous...variable weather conditions...people fall off on a regular basis?    Sounds great!  Where do I sign up?

The Olomana Trail.  It is also known on island as The Three Peaks since you hike up to the peak of three skinny mountains and along their ridges.  I use the work 'hiking' loosely since quite often I was rock climbing, but that just made it more thrilling, and we all know I love a good adrenaline rush.  It's known as one of the more deadly hikes on O'ahu, and I figured out why along the way.

First destination: Peak 1
...messed up my white balance so it's a B/W shot.
FL: 18mm SS:200 f/6.3 ISO:100
Dave is about to join me on top of the ridge.  It was foggy on one side of the mountain.  
FL: 18mm SS:250 f/4.0 ISO:100
The weather was not very clear the first part of the day.  This is a neat shot because you can see the air condensing to a cloud as it goes over peak 3 on the right side (peak two is on the left).  On the coast side it was more clear with high level clouds, but on the island side it was dense with low clouds, fog and rain.
FL: 18mm SS:100 f/8.0 ISO:100
Here is a view of the island side.  Close to cloud level.  In the background is the Ko'olahu Mountain Range that splits the island into Windward and Leeward halves.  You can even see a small little could that is lower than me on the left.
FL: 18mm SS:250 f/4.5 ISO:100
We are now on the second peak and here is where it becomes a little wild.  In this picture you see our third destination: Peak 3!  The line down the middle is the ridge that we will hike up, but first we have to get to the bottom.  Dave is examining the 100 foot drop down the back side of Peak 2 which will put us on the trail to Peak 3's ridge line.  I was the devil on his shoulder saying "don't worry Dave, just hold on to that rope by your feet and drop off the edge."  He would then reply "but do you realize it is raining and that the rope is shredded half way down and the rocks are slippery."  We decided he would go first...
FL: 18mm SS:25 f/9.0 ISO:100
Peak 3
FL: 48mm SS:180 f/8.0 ISO:100
So two pictures ago, Peak's 3 ridge line looked like a straight shot up.  
Once there, it was a different story......around the mountain we go!  
(Don't look down Dave...those tree tops are really far down)
FL: 20mm SS:50 f/8.0 ISO:100
The sky is starting to clear up a little over the Ocean
FL: 18mm SS:320 f/7.1 ISO:100
A shot of the ground/ledge/don't-move-3-inches-either-way.  I'm headed for the end of that blue rope in order to go down and around.  Exciting, right?
FL: 18mm SS:30 f/8.0 ISO:100
Dave on top of Peak 3.
FL: 18mm SS:250 f/9.0 ISO:100
Made it to the third peak.  Here is a shot looking back at the first two.  
Peak one is the tallest point; peak two is to the right.
FL: 18mm SS:40 f/9.0 ISO:100
It stopped raining for the trip back so I could take more pictures.  
Down the ridge of peak 3 we go.
FL: 18mm SS:30 f/8.0 ISO:100
FL: 24mm SS:50 f/19 ISO:200 hole
Up the backside of peak two we go.  See Dave's butt up there?  
FL: 21mm SS:30 f/13 ISO:200
FL: 18mm SS:250 f/9.0 ISO:100
To the left is the slope we are traversing up.  It doesn't look much better from here, 
but at the time it sure seemed like it was straight up.
FL: 18mm SS:150 f/10 ISO:100

FL: 18mm SS:25 f/10 ISO:100
Peaks 2 and 3 again.
FL: 18mm SS:60 f/10 ISO:100
The city of Kane'ohe from Peak 1.
FL: 18mm SS:320 f/8.0 ISO:100
Dolphin Lake (this is where I go paddleboarding)
FL: 70mm SS:160 f/13 ISO:100
Found some lil' Army guys in the woods
FL: 52mm SS:200 f/5.6 ISO:800
Last but not least: A 180 degree, stitched panoramic from atop Peak 3.  

Thanks for reading/looking.  Remember you can always click on the picture to make it bigger on your screen.  Tell me what you think.  I always enjoy comments.  Then I know at least someone is looking (even if all you have to say it 'hi').  Mahalo!

17 comments:

  1. Loving the pics! Wish I was there on the adventures with you, I'm sure my fat ass wouldn't survive the first hill though. Justin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J! My fellow kayaking buddy. You'd love paddleboarding. In fact, you should come visit just to paddle! Say hi to Michelle and the kiddos for me!

      Delete
  2. Ok I already heard the stories, even the parts NOT mentioned here, and I'm still freaking out! Can't you just stick to paddle boarding!!?!?

    Moose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moose: What are you talking about. The only other parts NOT mentioned are the ones were were smelling daisies along a flat field. Duh. Paddle boarding is pretty awesome but not much of an adrenaline rush. And I can't surf right now since I have surf rash...its not as bad as it sounds but it kinda hurts. Later buddy. Mahalo for checking the blog out.

      Delete
  3. Kris, this is your father speaking! Please be careful so we do not have to visit you in the hospital when we come to visit. Love the pictures and looking forward to visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daddio. Not to worry. No hospitals in my foreseeable future....I promise! Dave is the good angle sitting on my shoulder that keeps me from all the "fun ideas" I have. So as long as he goes along we meet somewhere in the middle for a good balance.

      Delete
  4. These pictures make me a little, no a lot, scared to send my daughter to visit you without me to put some fear, and sense!, into her! You know that she is much more of a relax-on-the-beach sort of person, right?? I am glad that you two guys are enjoying yourselves on this amazing series of adventures!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry Beth. I'm assuming Laura is more of a "drive up a big hill in order to get out of the car and take a picture" kind of gal. And there are plenty of those spots here too. I have plenty of things planned for her that include things like eating sushi, finding our way through one of the largest mazes in the US, surfing, turtle stalking and eating pineapple ice cream (and some other things TBD but that are equally as safe).

      Delete
  5. I have always wanted to visit Hawai'i But I was just wondering if you can see amazing sight and have crazy adventures WITHOUT RISKING YOUR LIFE???! I have a horrible fear of heights so I could never do a hike like that but luckily there are crazy people like you and Dave to take beautiful pictures to share with people back home. Stay safe and thanks for the pictures through which I can vicariously enjoy! ToddBob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ToddBob! Great to hear from you. Yes, there are plenty of crazy adventures you can have without risking your life. Ha. You should totally plan a visit to HI. It's a neat place. We're here, so come on out! We'd screen your adventures to those that do not involve cliffs. I'm glad you like the pictures.

      Delete
  6. I miss you two and look forward to seeing you again! I just pray that you both are still in two pieces when that occurs. Just wanted to say that there are people here in KY who love you and miss you and worry about your safety. Topher please just make sure that good angel on your shoulder (Dave) continues to go with you! Thanks! Love you and miss you Casey P. Stewart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CPS: Good to hear from you! Thanks for visiting. No worries, safety first! While this hike ranks up there as a challenging one on the island, it is far from the truly great ones (ones that Dave still doesn't let me go on...ha). Have a great summer and good luck with all the new changes that your new school brings to you.

      Delete
  7. Toph-Toph...If you get yourself or Dave killed...I will KILL YOU...wait, I guess that doesn't make sense...let me rephase...If you get yourself or Dave badly hurt, I will KILL YOU...that seems a little harsh for me...I'm not an angry person...Let me try one more time...If you get yourself or Dave hurt or killed, I would be really really sad :o(
    Glad to hear you're safe and thanks for not telling me about this hike before hand, I might not've slept!! Keep on listening to your good angel!! :o)
    Have fun. BE SAFE. Wear sunscreen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. KRISTOPHER, that does not look safe. You need to make better decisions!!!!! Don't you want to make it home to meet your new nephew???? DAVE, you are in big trouble, young man. Did you forget you are supposed to be Kris' voice of reason. I'm tempted to fire you from the job, but I don't have many other options right now. My contacts in Hawaii are very limited. I'm glad you both lived to tell the tale of Three Peaks!!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing all that I can. He is kind of stubborn. If I don't let him go on the supervised hikes with me, his adventure will just all bottle up and then I'll find out he signed up for some solo climbing, base jumping, shark diving, volcano run. (No Kris, those don't exist, Don't even look.) Hang-gliding on the other hand does exist, when should we plan that?

      Delete