May 23, 2013

Lava Tubes of the Big Island...

I've visited the big island a couple times recently, including some caves each time.  The first set of pictures is from Kaumana Caves.  These, however, are no normal caves: they are lava tubes!  The top of the underground tube (where lava used to flow in) collapsed resulting in two caves extending in opposite directions.  There's no light in the tubes so I only have pictures of the beginning of each cave where natural light exists.  Not to worry though, I did visit another lava tube in Volcanos National Forest that is set up for tourist.  Those pictures are towards the bottom of this blog.

The yellow stairs were the only man-made assistance you received along the journey.  I started by turning left at the bottom of the stairs.  There was a large area where volcanic rocks that had fallen from the ceiling.  Often you could match the huge rocks to the ceiling above like a puzzle piece.  At the very end of the collapsed area was a small hole.  I was able to duck through it.  To my surprise it opened to a pristine lava tube.  I was fascinating by the amount of color in the volcanic rock, both on the walls and the ceiling.  I walked along it for a few minutes but the long tube/cave just kept going.  After following that route for a while I eventually turned around and went to the other one.  Same thing there: there was a tiny hole at the end that allowed you to crawl through to get to another pristine lava tube.




I was doing this hike with my friend Sarah.  Upon entering the cave she set a strict rule that I was not allowed to jump out at her in the dark.  Apparently, she knows me well, and realized that this was exactly what was on my mind.  Not that her rule deterred me in any fashion.  After a few minutes I hiked ahead and found the first big rock to hide behind.  A few minutes later she passed by with only a tiny flashlight in the pitch black tunnel.  Screams of terror followed by kicking and hitting ensued the frightful moment.  Later there was even a sworn statement that we were longer be friends...she has since forgiven me...I think?  Doesn't matter though: it was worth it!



Here is a view from being inside the cave and looking toward the collapsed area that leads out.

Now starts the pictures from Volcanos National Park.  It is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior's National Park Service. Volcanos National Park is such a wonderful place.  You'll be seeing more from Volcanos on my blog in future posts since I just got back from backpacking around the park for 5 days.

The park has a lava tube situated in the middle of the a rain forest.  It is set up with bridges and lighting throughout for an easier tourist experience.  While I prefer things more off the beaten path, it was actually a really great short loop trail with the lava tube, named Thurston Lava Tube, in the middle.  As you walked towards the lava tube you heard a symphony of singing birds who were flying around the rain forest portion.


Lave tube entrance. 


Mahalo for visiting.  A hui hou.

No comments:

Post a Comment