April 8, 2012

Will I be the next 127-hours-guy? Not today…


Happy Easter everyone!

So I’ll start this post knowing that my Dad will be reading this.  A particular annoyance of my Father’s is that I don’t always tell someone what I’m doing, especially when doing something adventurous while alone.  I keep envisioning that he thinks I’ll be the next 127-hours-guy, due to actives such as this post, even though I’m not sure he’s even seen the movie, or read about the real person the movie character is based on (ie. Aron Ralston was a hiker who got pinned against a rock, and cut his own arm off after being stuck for 127 hours in order to save himself; played in the movie by James Franco).  He's always saying, "But what if you were to get hurt?  Who would know?"  My disclaimer is this: don’t worry Daddio, I called someone to tell them where I was, and what I was doing (well I called them halfway through anyway).

Someone told me about this closed trail that eventually ends up along Ka'au Crater’s ridge, encountering three waterfalls on the way.  The problem is the trail is technically closed, but I was given an address, and was told to walk behind the mailboxes to find the old trailhead.  (Dad: pretend the Keep Out signs are not there; nieces/nephews: don’t do as Uncle Topher does!)

(EOS T3i, Manual Mode/Focus, FL 39, SS 1/100, f 6.3, ISO 1600, WB Cloud)    
 (FL 18, SS 1/60, f 5.0, ISO 1600, WB Cloud)    

After viewing the above pictures I wonder, 'where is the trail head?'  So I proceed behind the mailboxes and generally just assume to follow the No Trespassing signs.  And then I find this:


There's the trailhead!      (FL 18, SS 1/13, f 8, ISO 3200, WB Shade)

Oh there’s the trailhead!  You have to drop down into it!  The above picture is literally at the base of the tree that is present in the earlier pictures (ie. the tree with the no trespassing sign); who would have guessed it?  Well, I realized this was the perfect hike for me if it starts with a descent using an old grungy rope tied off at a tree root.  I mean, if you REALLY weren't supposed to trespass then why would there be a rope to help you?  The hike was beautiful and quite often challenging.  In the beginning, I crisscrossed a stream so many times that I lost count, and it was intermittently difficult to find the trail.  I love the trees in the Hawaiian rainforest, especially the ones were it is difficult to discern where the trunk ends and the roots begin (see picture of me for example of this).  One area even reminded me of Red River Gorge back home.



Reminds me of the Gorge   (FL 31, SS 1/15, f 5, ISO 3200, WB Shade)
(FL 18, SS 1/15, f 7.1, ISO 1600, WB Shade)

Awesome trees!         (FL 40, SS 1/18, f 14, ISO 6400, WB Shade)
Eventually the trail became more difficult.  The person that told me about this trail said they took their dog on it so I figured it wasn’t too bad, but I am still wondering how the dog made it past various portions?  I happened upon a portion where the trail barely existed alongside a 70-degree incline with only a sparse looking branch to hold onto.  It was at this point where I decided I should probably tell someone where I was since I had yet to encounter anyone else along the way.  You know: incase that branch gave way and sent me tumbling 120 foot down into the ravine (not to worry though: if that had happened there was lots of vegetation to slow me down along the way).
"climbing" sideways     (iPhone)


70 degree slope.      (FL 20, SS 1/120, f 5.0, ISO 3200, WB Cloud)


















After about 2 hours the path led directly to the base of several rock walls.  These rock walls had ropes, and there’s only one way to find out where those ropes go!  Up, up, and up I go as I head up the mountain side (and once again: how’d the dog do this?  Did said dog suddenly sprout opposable thumbs?  No way a dog gets up a 90 degree rock incline).


(FL 22, SS 1/40, f 13, ISO 1600, WB Cloud)    
Almost to the top.      (iPhone)

While climbing the ropes I heard rushing water.  I was ecstatic to discover my upward climb led to the top of a 120-130 foot waterfall!  It was gorgeous.  


Waterfall!       (FL 18, SS 1/120, f 4.5, ISO 3200, WB Cloud)
Waterfall from the other side                 (FL 18, SS 1/15, f 9.0, ISO 3200, WB Cloud)
I’m told that beyond this waterfall are two more waterfalls and a ridge line along the crater with great views of the windward coast and cities.  Unfortunately, I took too long to get to the first waterfall (2.5 hours) and I only had 2.5 hours of daylight left.  I figured it would only take about 1.5 hours to return (less picture taking), so I briefly considered going further but didn’t (Pops: be proud of my good decision making here).  This just means I’ll have to do it again, so ‘to-be-continued!’  D.L. gets here on Tuesday, so we’ll finish this hike together!  I’ll leave you now with an aperture-fun-photo from the top of the waterfall:

Aperture fun     (FL 42, SS 8”, f 22.0, ISO 100, WB Cloud)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. Just be careful! Congrats on the new job. Happy. Easter!!

    TBob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter! I'm glad you are being safe. Talk to you soon!
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete