March 21, 2012

Aloha Hawaii


Well after weeks of preparation and sad good bye’s (including a rather pathetic one on my part when I dropped Sage off to my sister’s).  Watch out Hawaii.  Here I come.  Welcome to my blog.  I hope this will be a good medium to keep in touch a little better back home.  I hope you enjoy reading and I’ll try to post something weekly.  Intermittent pictures are possible too (still figuring that out, so stay tuned).  

I have received many text/email/calls wondering how my trip went, so that’s what my first post is going to be about. 

Dad took me to the Dayton airport at 4:30 AM Tuesday morning (Thanks Daddio).  From there it was a short jaunt over to Minneapolis/St. Paul.  Upon arriving they were asking for volunteers to take a later flight to my next layover, Seattle.  I had a 6 hour layover in Seattle anyway, so I volunteered.  Delta gave me $400.  Now I only paid $350 out of pocket, and once I include my baggage fees and food for the trip (totaling $80), the grand total for my trip here will essentially be 30 bucks.  Not to shabby, right?  Well, it got better because Delta put me in first class out to Seattle; a pleasant surprise.  I complain about Delta’s stronghold over Cincinnati/NKY airport all the time, but currently I am singing Delta’s praises.  God has sent me so many signs that I have made the right decisions (albeit crazy ones!) about coming here, so I just took this as one more blessing.  I guess I’ll keep following His path and see where it leads.

Unfortunately, for my 6.5 hour flight (Seattle to Honolulu) I was back in peasant-county, and I learned (in case you were curious) that it is actually possible for a toddler to cry for about 5.5 hours straight.  I guess God needed to keep me humbled.  On the flight to Honolulu, I changed seats since there was a 3 seat row with only one person, so I joined him instead of my crammed seat.  Turns out my 'row-partner' is a surf instructor and owns a surf shop (yeah, this only happens to me, right?).  He was great.  He was a transplant from Kansas 8 years ago, so he gave me all kinds of great tips.  I have decided he will be my newest Hawaii friend.  He has brought this on himself since he gave me his information and encouraged me to email.  He has no idea what is coming.

Finally landing at 9 PM Hawaii time (that’s 3 AM KY time) I had completed my journey 23 hours after waking up for the day.  It was off to baggage claim, then a shuttle to the rental car company.  I stopped at my a friend’s house.  We had tuna poke.  Poke (pron: poo-kei; is raw fish usually served as an appetizer in Hawaiian cuisine) tasted awesome and was a great first thing to eat here.  While it wasn't technically sushi, all you sushi-lovers out there would love it!  Then I headed across the island to stay with a different friend (Thanks for having me so far K!).  

Bed at 1 AM Hawaii time and then I woke at 6 AM to a beautiful symphony of birds, breeze and geckos.   One interview down (I had two job offers at that place!) and a few more interviews to go for the rest of the day.  

Send up some more prayers for me that the job/place to live aspects go well.

Mahalo!
Hawaii-Topher

15 comments:

  1. Dude,

    Glad you made it. Nothing like first class...they usually have Woodford Reserve. Yum! We can tell Sage misses, you but she is doing fine. Talk soon.

    Such

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you made it safely and already having a great time!!! Snorkeling with turtles.... I'm super jealous. If you go diving let me know how it is... I'm dying to scuba in Hawaii!! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures! :)

    Liz W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spoiler alert: .....the turtles were AWESOME! But we didn't snorkel with them, the water was too rough, but saw some on the beach. As soon as I get pics on my computer I'll make a new post!

      Delete
  3. Well if you get to use your nickname, I get to use mine! Which one should I pick?! Glad you made it in safe. Be sure to keep this thing updated as much as possible for us ordinary people who lead ordinary lives. We have to live vicariously through somebody!

    Good luck on the remaing interviews!

    Moose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you already!! I haven't seen you in 2 days and that is a long time for us!

    Have a great time! Work just isn't the same without you! :-(

    N.H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww...I miss you all too! We have now hit a few record for sure of time without each other. Whatever will we do?

      Delete
  5. It's so great to hear about your trip!! I look forward to hearing more about Hawaii and seeing pictures! Glad you made this blog! =)


    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! Good luck this weekend! You'll do awesome.

      Delete
  6. Wow... a crying baby for 5.5 hours?!?! I'm so glad I've never had to experience that. We are so glad you made it safely and got to wake up in paradise. Enjoy your time there!

    Rotie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I look forward to hearing all about your adventures in Hawaii. I didn't even think of how hard it was going to be for you to leave Sage!! Wow, I bet that was difficult. I'm glad to hear that she is in good hands though. What a long day Tuesday was for you... and the time difference must of not made it any easier. But you seem to be in good spirits, like always, so I'm defintely excited for you. Good luck with your remaining interviews, as well as the housing search. Try not to forget about UK's run for title number 8 during all this excitement. Represent us well down there! Be safe.

    Jennifer M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you are now a Haole? Just be careful with the wet lemon peels. Go for the dry ones and save your mouth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glen! Tell the family I said hello. Yup, totally a Haole here, but I'm embracing it and attempting to not make it such a derogatory term. L. is saving me from all the dumb-tourist-mistakes, so I think I typically look like I know what I am doing. Ha. Stay tuned buddy. I hope you guys' trip went well! -Hawaii Topher-

      Delete
  9. I've been meaning to post to you but I've been a bit side tracked here lately! But now the wedding is over and I can catch up! We definitely missed you on Friday but told your brother that he was an ok replacement! Thank you so much for the card it was a huge surprise! Text me your address as soon as you can please!
    So glad you are having great experiences...I'm jealous!
    Talk to you soon!
    -The New Mrs.-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard you were super gorgeous on your big day! Congrats and pass along my congrats to the new Mr. too!

      Delete
  10. Very cool and adventurous that you are doing this. Live it up. Anson

    ReplyDelete